Monday, April 2, 2012

German Oat Cake

My mom used to make this cake when I was a kid but I never liked it much. I don't know why because, now, I could eat the entire pan myself. Thank goodness I have little helpers, here, that keep me from eating it all by myself. This cake is pretty easy and it has a similar taste to German Chocolate Cake, which is my VERY FAVORITE cake in the universe!


INGREDIENTS

1 1/4 C. Boiling Water
1 C. Quick Cooking Oats
1 Stick Butter
1 C. Brown Sugar
1 C. Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs, well beaten
1 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1 Tsp. Vanilla
1 C. Flour

Pour boiling water over the oats and let them sit for 20 minutes.
Cream the butter and sugars together. Mix in the oats. Add the eggs, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla and flour. Pour into a 13x9 pan and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes

While cake is baking, make the topping.

TOPPING
1 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Heavy Cream
1 C. Shredded Coconut
1 C. Chopped Nuts (walnuts, pecans, whatever you like)
4 Tbsp. Butter, softened
 Mix all ingredients together and pour over warm cake. Place under the broiler for 3 minutes. Watch carefully for burning. Enjoy!

Being shared at http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Barn-Hop.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.