Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Stick To Your Ribs Tomato Soup

I know that soup season is pretty much over, but sometimes ya just need some soup! Yesterday was one of those days. It wasn't so much cold, temps were in the 60's, but the wind was AWFUL! I don't know what the gusts registered at but it blew some clothes right off the clothesline. This wind has been reeking havoc with my garden all this week so comfort food was necessary and this fits the bill. I had this at a dinner party years ago. I wasn't too happy to see this in my bowl because I have never been a fan of tomato soup but this was so good that I had seconds!

INGREDIENTS
1 Small Onion, Chopped kind of finely
2 Tbsp. Butter
28-Oz Petite Diced Tomatoes
1 Lg. Can Tomato Soup
1 1/2 C. Milk
1 Tsp. Sugar
1 Tsp. Basil
1 Tsp. Paprika
1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
1-8 Oz Block Cream Cheese, cubed

In a large pot, saute onion in butter until soft. Stir in all ingredients except cream cheese. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and add cream cheese. Stir occasionally until cheese melts. Sometimes I use a whisk to help break up the cheese so it melts faster. When I am feeling particularly Martha Stewart-ish, I puree small batches of the soup in the blender until creamy. A handheld blender would be perfect for this. This soup is so good with some homemade french bread! The kids and I polished off an entire loaf with this soup yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.