Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Baked Brown Rice

If you are anything like me, you are trying really hard to eat better. Trading in white sugar for sucanat, bleached white flour for whole wheat flour, processed salt for healthy real sea salt. All of that has been very easy for me. I don't even notice those changes. However, one change has been very tough. Trading in my trusty white rice for brown. I am just not a fan of brown rice. I don't like the consistency nor the time spent making it so that it is edible. While scrolling through a blog hop about a month ago, someone posted this recipe from Food Tv's Alton Brown. I was skeptical. Very skeptical. But since I had brown rice that I wanted to use up, I tried it. I am certainly glad I did! Not only is it very tasty but the recipe is one of those fix it and forget it recipes. Bonus...it comes out PERFECT every stinkin' time! Because of this one lil' recipe, my life has been changed!!! Okay, maybe a BIT of an exaggeration there but this is one of those recipes that makes eating healthier completely painless.

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 C. Long Grain Brown Rice (I use Texmati for the great texture)
3 C. Water
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tsp. Salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put rice in an 8x8 square glass baking dish.
Bring water, butter and salt just to a boil (I used the microwave) and pour over the rice. Stir to combine.
Cover dish tightly with foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour. No peeking! Once the hour is up, take out the dish and uncover. Fluff rice with a fork and enjoy. Since I made this for dinner last night and time was short, I forgot to take a pic of the finished product....ooops!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.