Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Biscuits!!!

I have tried and tried and tried to make biscuits from scratch. I have failed and failed and failed at them more than I care to admit. Until now...   I . Made. Biscuits! They were nothing like the hockey pucks from my past. They were light and flaky and absolutely wonderful! And now, I will share....the biscuit recipe.

INGREDIENTS

4 1/2 c. Flour (I used Bread Flour)
2 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Sugar
2 Sticks Butter softened, not melted
2 C. Milk

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until it is mostly pea sized pieces. Add the milk and mix until you get a soft dough ball. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about 1 minute. Form into a circle about 3/4 inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter or a glass, cut the biscuits out and lay on a parchment lined (or greased) cookie sheet 1 inch apart.
Please ignore the weird shaped ones!


Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes or until the tops are nice and browned. This recipe makes about 2 to 2 1/2 dozen biscuits depending on how big you make them. You can freeze them too. When you get to the part where you put them in the oven, put them in the freezer instead. Once frozen, transfer to a ziplock bag. To cook them from frozen just heat oven to 400 and bake them for about 20 minutes.
Look at the height on that sucker

I have made lots and lots of biscuits and very few were edible. These are extremely easy and I even re-rolled out the pieces to make more and they weren't tough. If you have tried and failed to make homemade biscuits before, THIS is your recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.