Friday, May 11, 2012

Hand Soap Failure

I love a good experiment. Going from being a city girl to a farm girl has been one BIG experiment! When I find a "recipe" for a homemade version of something I normally have to buy, I get all kinds of excited. Thankfully, for the most part, I have been very successful at those "recipes". I haven't had too many flops that couldn't be fixed. Unfortunately, this was one of those flops. I have made liquid handsoap a couple of times. The recipe is easy but the finished product left a little to be desired. To be completely honest, the finished product had the consistency of snot. Then, when you used it from the pump dispenser, a little would leak from the opening and puddle on the counter. Not attractive! So I came upon this little recipe that sounded like it might work a little better. I truly don't remember where I saw this but it was simply 3 bars of soap grated and 6 cups of hot water. Stir until soap is melted and pour into jars to sit for 24 hours when the soap would be at the "perfect" consistency. Sounds easy enough. I grated 3 bars of soap and melted them in the water. I poured the liquid into 2 jars and waited. The next day I checked the jars and was surprised to see that it had formed a gushy solid! How in the heck was that supposed to work in a pump dispenser? I stuck a knife in it and pried it out of the jar into a big bowl. I added some liquid castile soap to see if it would "loosen" up a bit. It did a little so I was hopeful that adding some water would help more. I added some water and whisked and whisked and whisked. The consistency was getting better. The really hard part came when I tried to pour it into the container that I store it in (old refill container for handsoap, makes filling the dispensers a breeze!). I don't have a funnel that is small enough for the opening so I was trying to use a large measuring cup with a pour spout. It ended up all over the container, the counter, ME! It was a huge hassle but I finally got most of it in the container. I haven't filled the dispensers yet so I don't know how it will work but I am completely unsatisfied with the results! I only "rehydrated" one of the jars I made so I will be going thru this one more time but, after that, I am going back to my old "recipe"....until I find a better one ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.