Friday, May 11, 2012

Fish Sticks and Mac & Cheese

I LOVE to cook!!! I also love to eat!!! I love to eat what I cook!!! Now that we have that settled, I want to share a yummy lil treat for ya. I found this recipe for baked fish sticks over at The Prairie Homestead and I was going to link it for you but now I can't find the recipe. It has just been one of those days!!
Oh well, good thing I printed the recipe out!

INGREDIENTS

1/2 C. Flour
2 Eggs, Beaten (I did add a little milk to this because I almost ran out)
1/2 C. Dry Bread Crumbs
1/4 C. Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 Tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 Tsp. Paprika
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
3/4 Lb. Cod Fillets ( I used 5 small filets which is a little more than 3/4 lb. and it was fine)

Cut the cod into 1" strips. Set up your coating assembly line like this:
Flour in first bowl.
Eggs and lemon juice in next bowl.
Bread crumbs, cheese, salt, paprika and pepper in third bowl.
Set out a buttered or parchment lined baking sheet after the 3rd bowl.
Coat fish in first bowl, then second bowl, then 3rd bowl. Set sticks on baking sheet. Repeat until all sticks are sitting on the baking sheet. Give them a bit of space between them. You don't want to crowd them on the pan or you will get soggy sticks. Yuck!
Bake them at 400 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes, flipping them over halfway thru cooking time.
These fish sticks taste so good, you will NEVER buy boxed ones again!

What goes better with fish sticks than mac-n-cheese? My son will tell you "NOTHING!" He is a cheesy noodle kinda boy. He's a little cheesy, too, but that is for a different story! I very much dislike mac-n-cheese from a box. Sure, it's quick and easy but that orange cheese is....unnatural. I have a couple of recipes for the homemade kind but it seems that for every area of the states, people have a different idea about what mac-n-cheese should be like. This recipe calls for eggs, which I am on the fence about putting into mac-n-cheese. The recipe turned out okay but hubby, requested it to be creamier and I think there needs to be more salt. You be the judge.

INGREDIENTS

2 C. Whole Milk
3 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tbsp. Flour
1/2 Tsp. Salt (I ended up adding more once it was on my plate)
1/2 Tsp. Pepper
3 Eggs, Whipped (wasn't sure what was meant by this so I just beat mine really good)
5 C. Elbow Macaroni (I used a 16 oz. box) Salt your water!!!
3 C. Shredded Cheese, divided
3/4 C. Cracker Crumbs

Cook noodles until al dente and drain. Top hot noodles with butter to melt it. Whisk flour into milk and add salt, pepper, eggs and 1 c. cheese. Pour on noodles and combine. Pour noodle mixture into a greased 13x9 dish and spread 1 c. cheese and the cracker crumbs on top. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle on last cup of cheese and bake for another 10 minutes.

Voila! The finished product!
I swear there was more broccoli on my plate but I ate some before I remembered to take the pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.