Friday, February 10, 2012

Sugar...The Enemy

I have always had a love-hate relationship with sugar. I don't just have one sweet tooth. I have a whole mouth full of them! I was home alone a lot as a kid because both my parents worked so I didn't have anyone there to tell me "NO" soooooo, I ate a lot of stuff that wasn't good for me. My dad was a truck driver then a broker so he was gone a lot and mom and I would go to dinner quite a bit after she got home from work. It was easier to go to the corner diner and grab something than to plan a meal, cook it and clean up when it was just the 2 of us most of the time. Once my dad was home more often, we would still meet my mom in town after she was done working and go out to dinner so dessert was ALWAYS a part of my dinners (and occasionally a part of my lunches and snacks as well!) Fast forward many, many years and I am trying to undo the damage that I caused by eating all the wrong stuff. I came across this blog and read the article and was shocked by what I learned. Please take a couple minutes and read it. It was an eye opener for me. I no longer use regular white sugar but really, even sucanat, while a healthier alternative, is not without its ill effects on the body if not used in moderation. Moderation-that is the word I lacked as a kid growing up. I ate what I wanted and as much as I wanted because no one ever told me "NO". Now I am the parent and I have to tell my kids "NO"...a lot. Why? Because when they were really little, I let them eat what they wanted, as much as they wanted. Now that I know better, I have to retrain them, and myself, how to eat healthfully and in moderation. It's hard because I passed my mouth full of sweet teeth on to them, especially my daughter. Thankfully, she is quite active and loves to be outside running around. But I still have to say "NO". It truly is because I love them, though. Hopefully, one day they will understand....
   http://realfoodforager.com/sugar-much-worse-than-we-thought/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.