Thursday, January 5, 2012

Homemade Brownies To Die For!

In this wonderful journey of eating whole foods, I have been trying to replace commercial foods with homemade ones. One thing that I was having trouble finding a homemade replacement for was brownies.
Yep, I LOVE those tasty made-from-a-box brownies and found that most homemade recipes just weren't very good. Well, all that has changed with this little chocolatey block of heaven. I found this recipe in Southern Living and I am really impressed with it. I just made plain ol' brownies because my son hates when I put little crunchy things in our sweets but there are so many additions that could be added to make them completely over the top scrumptious!
Are you ready?????

Here it is:

4 (1 oz) unsweetened chocolate baking squares
3/4 c. butter (please use real butter and not that fake stuff!!)
1 1/2 c. sugar (ok, I used white stuff. I know it will kill me but I wasn't sure how sucanat would taste)
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar (again, I used brown sugar instead of something healthier. I'm a rebel)
3 eggs
1 c. whole wheat flour (you could use all purpose but why???)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8x8 pan with either tin foil (spray with non stick spray afterwards) or parchment paper and set aside. In a microwave safe bowl, heat the chocolate and butter for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth. Whisk in sugars. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until just blended. Whisk in flour, vanilla and salt.  Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean with just a few crumbs. Let cool in pan for about an hour then lift out of pan and cut into squares. 

These brownies are soooooo yummy. Feel free to add in nuts, coconut, peanut butter chips, whatever. Little boy doesn't know it but the next batch is going to be loaded up with all kinds of goodies!!!

This recipe is being shared at The Prairie Homestead Blog Hop and The Way Grandmama Does It Blog Hop

1 comment:

  1. YUM! Writing this one down. I have gone back to butter too! Thanks for linking up! I am sure alot of ladies will make these brownies.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.