Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pie Crust

If you are anything like me, you like to make things yourself instead of buy them. I can't stand spending money on something that I can do myself and I really hate letting some big manufacturer decided what chemicals are going to be in my food! Now, I have been cooking for a very long time but the one thing that has been beyond my capabilities has been pie crust. For whatever reason, I have NEVER been able to make a decent crust. Until now. My friends, I present to you a very easy, very tasty pie crust courtesy of Mary Jane's Farm magazine. This is the recipe I used in the Tomato Pie from the other day. It makes 1 double crust 9" pie or 2 single crust 9" pies...Like how I did that math for you?!

INGREDIENTS

2 1/2 C. Flour (calls for all purpose but I used whole wheat)
1 Tsp. Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 C. Cold Butter, diced
5 Tbsp. Ice Cold Water

Combine dry ingredients in a food processor or bowl. Process or use a pastry blender to cut in the butter until it resembles course meal.
Add water, 1 Tbsp. at a time until mixture forms a ball.
Shape into 2 disks and chill for an hour (this can be frozen for up to 3 weeks at this stage)
Roll out each disk to fit into pie plate.

So easy even I couldn't mess it up!

A little side note for you-I was reading about how you can use whiskey in place of the water for a really flaky crust. It says that the alcohol cooks out so you aren't getting all boozy eating the pie and leaves the crust extra flaky. Have you ever heard of that? Have you tried it? I thought it was a bit interesting so I think I may try it...if hubs will spare the whiskey!!!

Sharing at The Prairie Homestead, Frugally Sustainable

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.