Monday, October 15, 2012

Hamburger Veg Soup


This is, without a doubt, the easiest, simplest soup to make. And probably the tastiest soup I have made in a very long time. It came about in a moment of desperation. I needed something to fix for lunch and I just could not come up with anything that sounded remotely edible. Do you ever have those days when the thought of food just grosses you out?
I had some ground beef thawed so I browned it up with some onions and salt/pepper. Then I started cleaning out the fridge and freezer.
This is what was added to the beef: Half a quart of homemade tomato sauce, a can of diced tomatoes, about 4 cups of beef broth and 2 cups of turkey broth (I didn't have any chicken broth), half a bag of frozen corn, half a bag of frozen peas, half a bag of frozen green beans, garlic, oregano and basil. I just stirred everything together, brought it to a boil and then simmered it for about a half hour. About 15 minutes before it was done, I added a cup of orzo pasta and let it cook in the broth.

At lunch time, my son (the veggie hater) loudly exclaimed that he wasn't touching "that gross stuff" so he ate a sandwich instead. The rest of us sat down to a steaming bowl of nourishing goodness. I cannot even begin to describe how good this stuff was. I don't normally like these kinds of soup (I love cream based soups) but it just hit the spot. The aforementioned veggie hater saw how much we were enjoying it and, since he is never "full", he decided to try"just a little bit". He ended up eating 2 full bowls and I had to stop him from eating a 3rd! He didn't even pick around the veggies. He ate every last one of them. This NEVER happens. There are always threats involved to get him to eat his veggies.
This was a great soup to eat and a great way to clean out leftover bags of veggies in the freezer.
Try some of it and you will not regret it!

Sharing at Frugally Sustainable

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.