Friday, September 21, 2012

Apple Walnut Muffins

Since I made my menu plan for the next 2 weeks, I have no excuse not to cook. Besides, after eating out so much on vacation, I am COMPLETELY ready to eat some good home cooking!

This morning's fare was Apple Walnut Muffins. Since this was the first time I made these muffins, I followed the recipe pretty closely. Next time, I think I will add a little coconut oil to the batter to make it a little more "wet".


APPLE WALNUT MUFFINS

1 1/2 C. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour ( I just used regular whole wheat flour)
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp. Salt
2 Eggs
1/3 C. Sucanat
1 1/2 C. Apples, Peeled, Cored and Finely Chopped (About 2-3 apples. I used Fuji)
5 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, Melted
1/2 C. Walnuts, Coarsely Chopped

Preheat oven to 400 F and line muffin pans with liners (or grease them if you have no liners). Whisk eggs and sucanat together in a medium bowl. Stir in the apples and let them sit for about 10 minutes to release some juice.
In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients (flour through salt) and combine thoroughly.
Once the apples are done sitting, add the melted butter and walnuts to them and stir. Then gently fold the apple mixture into the flour mixture only until it is mostly combined. Overmixing will cause your muffins to be hard and dense. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake for 12-15 minutes.

These muffins were really good but the batter was a bit drier than I think it should have been. Next time I will add 1/4 coconut oil to the batter and see what happens.
In the meantime, ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.