Wednesday, January 25, 2012

When Did I Become My Parents????

I remember when I was a youngster and I would laugh at my parents over various things. Once, my mom wanted to record a tv show but she couldn't figure out how to set the VCR (yes, this was before DVR's!). I laughed at her while I set the VCR. I couldn't believe she couldn't figure out how to do something so simple. The other day I turned on the tv and my son had been playing the Wii. I had to call him in the family room to put the tv back to where I could watch it. I can't be sure but I think I saw a little smirk on his face while he fixed the tv.
I remember my dad wanting to know how to 'get on the internet and do stuff'. I laughed the whole time I showed him how simple it was. A couple of days ago, I tried downloading music from iTunes on to my daughter's iPod for her using her iTunes gift card. I couldn't figure out how to get it to use the gift card instead of my debit card that was saved to the account. Thirty minutes later of threatening the computer and using language unbecoming of a woman, I finally saw the little button that I needed to click. Both my kids have had great fun telling people how mama couldn't figure out iTunes!
When did I go from tech savvy young person to needing one of those "....For Dummies" books old fart? When did that change happen?
My mom came over last Saturday to use my washer and, while she was waiting, she sat at my kitchen counter watching me make bread. She told me that one of her fondest memories as a child was going to her grandparents house on Saturdays (their baking day) and eating all the fresh breads and strudels that they made. Unfortunately, she never learned how to make them herself. I had to stifle a smile when she asked if I could teach her to make bread. The more things change, the more they stay the same :-)

2 comments:

  1. You have no idea how familiar this sounds! My youngest son, Nap, asked to borrow our TV to use as a screen for an upcoming concert (he's in a band) and I told him, "Sure, but you have to unhook everything, because you're the one that hooked it up for us!" LOL
    The Anonymous Homesteader
    http://anonymoushomesteader.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'll bet that he had a little smirk on his face too!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.