Thursday, June 7, 2012

Goodbye Precious...

Farm living has its ups and downs and yesterday was definitely a downer. Awhile back I introduced you to Blind Chicken aka Precious.
She was of the breed Cherry Egger. She was a very sweet lil chicken, she just couldn't see. Over the last week, I noticed that she was having trouble finding her way down the ramp of the coop so each morning I would pick her up out of the coop and put her on the ground so she could join her sisters and have breakfast. Then, a few days later, I noticed that she wasn't eating or drinking so, thinking that she was having trouble finding the food and water, I tried to feed her by hand. She wasn't having any of it so I took her to the waterer and she refused to drink. I also noticed how her comb had shriveled up and was almost nonexistant. She looked nothing like she did in the picture above. I was hoping that if I just left her alone for the day, she would perk up, but I knew it was a matter of time. My son was out cleaning the chicken coop that afternoon and he said he thought she was dead. I went out and she was lying right where she had been all morning. Her head was on the ground and her feet out behind her so I was quite surprised when I picked her up and she lifted her head up. However, it was one of her last movements. I couldn't bear her fading anymore slowly so hubby came out and "took care of it". I absolutely HATE this aspect of farm life. It would have been different if we had raised her to be butchered and eaten. At least I would have known that she had a spectacular life right up until the end. The thought that she may have been suffering for up to a week just kills me. Needless to say, I will NOT be buying anymore of this particular breed. Of the 5 we bought, 3 have died. The first one died after 3 days, the second a few months later and now Precious a year later. There were no wounds on any of them and the deaths were unexplainable. Live and learn I guess. I am quite happy with the hardiness of the Buff Orpingtons and Americaunas. Very healthy, happy chickens. They are "quite robust" if you know what I mean!

Anyhow, we are still having some internet connectivity issues. Narrowed it down to the wireless router. We will be replacing it soon so the posts may or may not get done in a timely fashion. Thanks for sticking with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.