Friday, April 27, 2012

Ranch Macaroni Salad

Hubby and I have decided to perform a little experiment. You see, we have sort of gained a "few" pounds over the last year and we really want them to be gone. I thought when we started eating only whole foods, that we would start to slim down but that has not been the case for us. Even though we are eating MUCH healthier, we are still gaining weight. So to stem the tide so to speak, we are flip flopping lunch and dinner. Our lunches will be the larger meal of the day with our dinners being something light. Yesterday was our first day. Ummm, it went...ok. I fixed sloppy joes, broccoli and mixed fruit for lunch. Then for dinner I came up with a new recipe. I knew I wanted to make a light, summery salad but my lettuces haven't produced enough for the 4 of us yet. I searched the internet for some ideas and came up with the following on my own:



INGREDIENTS

1 lb. Elbow Macaroni (or whatever small pasta you like, whole wheat preferably)
1/2 Small onion, diced
1 Red Pepper, diced
6 Hard Boiled Eggs (can be less, if you prefer)
6 Oz Bacon, diced
1/4 C.(more or less) Ranch Dressing (I use homemade)

Boil pasta until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain again. While pasta is cooking, fry up the veggies and bacon until bacon is crisp. Drain on paper towels. Dice up however many eggs you would like to use. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Use the smallest amount of dressing until you get the coverage you want. I do not like my macaroni salad really goopy so I barely used 1/4 c. We still had 2-3 servings left over so this makes alot.

Okay, I know this esn't exactly "light" as in low calorie but it was darn sure good! We rounded out the meal with cuties (mandarin oranges). Of course, we had to have dessert! I had made some brownies so we each had one.
I guess things went ok, but we all got the munchies about 8:30pm. I will have to play around with this senario a bit more if we are going to be successful. I think things will be much easier once the garden produce comes in and I can pluck a quick and easy meal from there. I am open to ANY suggestions you may have about this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.