Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Growing and Growing

I love this time of year. Okay, I could do without the heat and the bugs but I love seeing little tiny seeds give way to the first little green sprouts.  I have planted seeds in 2 plantings so far and, after the first 4 days, I have been rewarded with this:

This is green beans and wax beans and tomatoes blooming here. This in only a little part of the bazillion tomatoes seeds I planted this year! Hubby planted some Amelia tomato seeds that we had leftover from a couple of years ago to see if they would sprout and sprout they did. I also planted some Better Boy tomatoes, a grape tomato called Jelly Bean and cherry tomatoes called Black Pearl. I LOVE the black pearl ones. They are dark purple, almost black, and spicy! They were the first tomato that I actually ate off the vine. They turned me on to the wonderful world that is fresh tomatoes! My mom always loved tomatoes and would eat them all the time but I thought they were gross. Now, I am making up for lost time!


 This is green beans and zucchini.
I planted lots and lots of green beans this year. Normally, I don't plant a lot but I have become infatuated with whole green beans sauteed in my cast iron skillet with butter and salt/pepper. I buy big bags of frozen ones at Kroger and, honestly between me and my daughter we could eat the entire bag ourselves! I NEVER liked green beans before. I would make them and eat them because they are good for us but I never liked them. Now? OMG, so yummy. They say your taste buds change every few years so I am going to take advantage of this change!


So far, I have planted sweet peppers, 4 different kinds of tomatoes, banana peppers, zucchini, squash, green beans, wax beans, peas, spinach, lettuce, cucumbers, cantaloupes, watermelons, sugar pumpkins, okra and strawberries. I still have my corn and potatoes to get into the ground. Me thinks I shall be busy!! Hubby built most of my raised bed boxes so now I have to seal them to protect them from the weather and fill them up. Then...transplanting!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.