Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Home Remedies for the Cough, Cold and Flu Season

'Tis the season to share ge-rms. Fa la la la la la la la la....Icky, nasty, make you sick ge-rms...Okay, you get the picture. Germs are nasty. They make your nose run, your throat hurt, make you cough all night and pile on the blankets. Yeah, those germs. The other night, I was at choir practice sitting between 2 people that are just getting over the flu. Not the best place to be! So, when I got home, I started with a simple home remedy to help fight off any viruses or bacteria that could have made it into my body. I tried not to touch my face with my hands but my nose was itchy!

Remedy 1:
Simply mix a teaspoon of raw honey and a tsp. of cinnamon and swallow it down. If it is too sweet to take like that, add a bit of warm water and make a sort of tea out of it. Raw honey and cinnamon are wonderful, all natural germ fighters. This you can take as often as needed for coughing. I suggested it to everyone in my church choir as we have a concert Sunday and most everyone was coughing up a storm.

Remedy 2:
This one has a few more ingredients but is wonderful for a cough and/or sore throat.
  • 1 Tbsp. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (I use Bragg's)
  • 1 Tbsp. Water
  • 1/4 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 Tsp. Freshly Grated Ginger Root (or 1/4 tsp. ground ginger)
  • 1/4 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
  • 1 Clove Garlic, minced very finely (or 1/4 Tsp. Powdered Garlic)
  • 1 Tbsp. Raw honey, melted if solid.
Mix all ingredients in a small jar with a tight fitting lid and shake the dickens out of it.
Take 1-2 Tbsp. as needed. No need to refrigerate unless you won't use it up in 2-3 days. Also, don't sniff it. I say this because this stuff smells a little...umm...stinky. Raw apple cider vinegar has a much stronger smell than the processed stuff I was used to so this, to me, does not have the most pleasant smell. The taste isn't bad but, whew, that smell will get you!

Here is a little testimony to the effectiveness of Remedy 2. While I was typing up this post, my mom called me to ask if I would refill the jar I gave her with some more. She has been plagued with massive coughing fits lately and regular cough syrup wasn't doing a thing for her. Even the prescriptions from her doctor weren't cutting the mustard. I had mixed this up that day and sent it home to her. She took 1 dose and didn't cough but once or twice the whole night. That hasn't happened in a while. Now she wants a refill in case it starts again. I love home remedies that work better than pharmaceuticals!

Remedy 3

I have not personally tried this one but it comes from a blogger I trust.
Elderberry Syrup
She suggests taking this daily to boost immune system. I will try it once I get some elderberries.

It would benefit everyone to research what a wonder raw honey, cinnamon, raw ACV and garlic are. Antibacterial, antiviral, antimicrobial....the list goes on and on. Every pantry should be stocked with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! However, nasty argumentative comments will ALWAYS be deleted and NEVER posted. This blog includes my opinions and beliefs. If yours are different, please be respectful in your disagreement.